Tuesday, March 31, 2009

First Week Full Time Student Teaching

So I am done with my first full week of student teaching. (YAY!) Part of me is so excited to be there every day, part of me was exhausted and longing for the week to be over. Of course I was battling a terrible cold all week, and the kids and I could really tell when the cold medicine was starting to wear off, as I became more stuffy and more hoarse as the hours ticked by. It is nice to see the entire weeks routine. When I was just there two days a week, there is just so much that you miss out on.

We started the week with a sub, which turned out was a great transition. I taught all day, and the kids came to me instead of the sub. That really set the tone for the rest of the week, and I see the kids coming to me and asking questions now almost as often as my Master Teacher. Listening to some of the other interns struggling with having the students give them respect and listen to them makes me really appreciate having that boost.

We had conferences this week, which seemed to go well. I am still not sure how I will handle conferences next year. It is a bit intimidating. I did get a huge compliment from a mom whose son is a special ed student. She said she really appreciated that I treated her son like a regular kid, she started crying as she talked about previous experiences. It really makes you realize that these little ones are somebodies baby, they are special to someone, and we should never forget that.

I am taking over the science -- starting with insects! Love those bugs!! I am bringing in ladybugs, walking stick bugs, and caterpillars. It will be so much fun. I checked out a TON of insect bugs from the library and propped them up all over the place. The kids loved them. During silent reading time they all were reading all about bugs, even the girls! I can't wait till the get to see the walking stick bugs. They are so crazy looking.

How did everyone else's first week go?

No comments: