Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Solo Teaching

I am spending more time in the classroom on my own. It is great, and scary. I am finding I have a tendency to over plan my weeks. I have too much stuff to do, and too little time to accomplish everything. I feel like I should be able to cover things in more depth, so they really understand it. My Master Teacher says I need to remember they are second graders, in many of these things we are introducing them to the concept, and they will go into more depth in future years.

It is hard to remember that. I want to cram so much into their little heads in such a short period of time!

And in addition to wanting to learn everything about one subject, I want to do this with every subject. It is funny. In school we talked about including health, art, music, drama, social studies, nonfiction and fiction texts, poetry in addition to the reading,writing and math. How? It is so hard to find the time to squeeze everything in! I find myself struggling with whether it is better to cover a lot about a little, or a little about a lot. In my head I know how important all those things are, but I find myself having a whole new empathy for teachers who let those things slip through the cracks.

No comments: