Monday, January 26, 2009

Lend a Helping Hand

I have been asking myself the same thing lately...am I really prepared to teach. Can I apply what I am reading and experiencing in the classroom on my own and in my own future classroom? It is one thing to read about something, but it is quite another to put it into practice (sometimes on the spot)!
I think it gets back to not being afraid to ask for help. Like we talked about in class today, if we are not sure of an answer, be honest! Ask for help. Turn a potentially embarrassing situation into an opportunity to invite others (students included) to work with you to come to a conclusion.
Speaking of technology... here is a blog posting from one of my favorite blogs. She discusses the importance of teachers helping each other overcome their technology troubles.

3 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Kelli! Welcome! I am so glad you decided to join our blog. I agree it is important to ask for help. That is somehting I am so bad at. I am always afraid of making myself look like a fool, but I am finding that often, others have the same questions and concerns.
It is great to find a supportive environment in which we can admit we don't know things and need help. I hope my own classroom will be that way.

Anonymous said...

I definitely have had my share of doubts...as most of you have witnessed. I had reached the point that I felt sure they had made a mistake letting me into this program. I too have a hard time asking for help, and even so, you were all so helpful. I do now know I will have to get comfortable asking for help in order to be successful in this program.

lpan said...

Hello.

Reading everyone's comments I can sympathize with all of them. I have been an educator for over 10 years and there have been many times that I have requested the assistance of my colleagues in various situations. It is important for us to have this support system in place. I also think that is it is equally important for us to recognize the doubts we have and seek more feedback.

Similar to our students, as a group we all tend to learn and think differently. When teachers are able to recognize this fact and take advantage of the suggestions and ideas of other colleagues we are able to build upon and enhance our own teaching skills. I have found that even learn more from novice teachers who have more technological experience and skills within their teaching strategies. For both the experienced and novice teacher this type of collaboration is such a huge resource for us to grow as teachers. We all learn from each other and even our mistakes in the classroom can create unexpected positive results.