Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I admit it - I'm a Homework Hater

I admit it. As a parent, I hate homework. I resent it. When my kids come home from school I ask the required parental question " do you have homework?" Secretly I have my fingers crossed behind my back hoping that they say no, or that they did it already. When they say no, especially when all four of them say no, I want to jump up on the counter and do a little happy dance. I have often wondered if this makes me a bad parent, a bad partner to my child's education, or evil in an educational way.

I also wonder if teachers really know what goes on with their students after they leave school. They can't be completely clueless to everything their students do. On any given day after school we may be juggling sports practices or games, (soccer, football or basketball depending on the time of year for us, and we don't do baseball or volleyball like some families), music lessons, drama club, chess club, doctor, dentist or orthodondist appointments, play dates, cooking, eating dinner, chores and all the other day to day life stuff. We don't do dance, gymnastics, church activities or scouts as many other families do as well. Sometimes we like to do family stuff -- like play, or snuggle, talk about our days, read a book or watch tv together.

So when they answer that yes they do have homework I know that our whole afternoon and evening is going to change. Suddenly I feel like I become the bad guy. I have to remind, cajole, nag, plead, beg, order, yell, convince and hope that they will do their homework. There are tears, temper tantrums, hurt feelings, pouting, screaming, throwing and breaking things -- and not all of them from the kids. So many times I look at their homework and feel like I have time traveled to a younger version of myself, and feel the insecurity again of not knowing what I am doing. I am supposed to be smarter than my children, yet often I find myself baffled by their homework, or I'm told I am doing it wrong. When they have homework the whole feeling of the evening will change. The loving, snuggling, fun, free to do whatever we want day is gone. Instead the day will be changed, it will be more tense, more stressful, and less fun.

And the guilt if we don't do it. My first grader has a homework log. Each night we are supposed to record the amount of time we spend doing homework, and what kind we do, spelling, math flash cards, dolche words, or read alouds. We are supposed to hit 100+ minutes a week, and the students are keeping a running graph of their homework minutes. At conferences I was told that we had only turned in our homework log sheet 60% of the time. Sixty percent. My son has a D in first grade because I haven't filled out his homework log efficiently enough. I admit -- I have been fudging on his homework log. I don't keep track, and on now on Sunday night I just fill in random times on the days to make it look good. Am I going to hell for this? I don't know. I know my life and my child are happier.

And my older kids? The guilt is worse there, because of course, their grades matter more. I know that in theory they are old enough, they are supposed to be responsible for their own homework and the consequences if they don't get it done. However, in reality, if they don't get it done, the parents get called, get the letters home that must be signed and returned. In those calls or notes I feel the underlying accusation that my parenting skills are at fault, that somehow I have failed because their homework isn't getting done and turned in. I get the helpful newsletters which recommend having a set time, a quiet place free of distractions set aside for their individual use. Ha! And how do you decide when to step in and how much to interfere, and whether to let them learn to fail or succeed on their own? And isn't it the school's responsibilite to deal with this, and mine to deal with all the other things that come up, like missed curfews and sibling rivalry?

I don't want it to sound like I don't care about my kids' education. I do. We do things together at night. We play games, which I tell myself covers the math facts. We read. We do fun experiments (currently we have eggs in vinegar and blue food coloring on the window sill). We go out to walk the dog and look at the changing seasons, collect rocks, leaves, bugs and other things we find along the way. We cook together and measure out the ingredients. We measure how much the kids have grown. We sing silly songs. We color, and draw and paint and make playdough. We watch movies. We play legos and create space ships that will travel to far away lands, and think up names for the next Mars Rover. We take trips, like to the Museum of Flight, or the beach.

So now, as a future teacher, I have to ask myself what will I do about homework? I listen to some of my fellow interns talk about different school districts having requirements for the amount of homework, increasing for each grade. I read studies which dispute the effectiveness of homework. I struggle with the idea of giving something to my students that I as a parent despise. I wonder about my perceived teacher impressions of me and my childrens homework. I wonder if we are normal, or if we are at the "really bad homework people" end of the spectrum. Do other families hate homework as much as me? Do they do it anyway, or do they fudge the reading logs and homework logs minutes too? Am I a homework rebel? Do my childrens' teachers mutter under their breath about my lack of support in the homework area? As a teacher will I judge children and parents by whether they turn in homework or not?

Reading "Creating Welcoming Schools" by JoBeth Allen this week has made me feel better about my homework hate. It made me realize I am not alone.

Unfortunately it doesn't solve any problems. I walked in tonight after a long day of school to ask the dreaded question, and the even more dreaded answer. Four yes-es. Ugh. One temper tantrum, one teary break down, one snit, one yelling contest and one "we don't do it that way" later we are done. One more fun loving family evening gone.

5 comments:

Jane said...

Wow. What a powerful statement from the parent side, and this is clearly, clearly not about whether or not your are supportive of your kids' education.

What strikes me most here is how little is said about the actual value of the homework....does that ever come up on the conversations? Why ARE the teachers assigning homework? Are teachers clear about that?

I'd love you to tell all of us in the Families class about what you've written here.

Jane

Ann Glaser said...

I am interning in a Kindergarten class where there is homework. I am shocked at the amount of homework "required" for these little guys. And they are in full time kindergarten. When may daughter was in full day kindergarten she came home exhausted. There was no way I was going to make her do homework when she got home. I also remember filling in stuff just to make it look good. I knew that we read enough at home to make the required 20 minutes so I would just fill it in. But it wasn't always 20 minutes but sometimes it was 1 hour or more at a time.
I will have to continue the class as the teacher teaches it in April and in May but when I am a teacher homework will not be a big part of the curriculum-unless I teach 4th grade or higher.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you brought this up, Sunshine, because I have been thinking a lot about the homework "issue" as well. As I have said before, I am the kind of person who always asks "why?". I have to be able to wrap my brain around how and why things are done. In my dyad placement, 2nd grade, there were so many worksheets sent home each night and perhaps 7 students may have brought them back each day. The kids who did got a sticker on their folder. There were no consequences for those who did not bring their homework back and honestly, the kids didn't care that much about a sticker. I asked my dyad teacher about homework and she said their school sent homework home every night except Fridays because that's the policy they adapted. What does that mean? What are these kids learning from filling out 10 worksheets a night? Is homework just being sent home to satisfy the parents who want it for their kids? I never really got an answer that I could "wrap my brain around". I think giving students projects to enhance what they are learning at school and that their families can participate in is a good thing, but homework just for the sake of homework is a bunch of you-know-what. Many of us care about our kid's education but still want our children to be children. Kindergarteners are only 5 or 6 years old. They are supposed to play outside after school and "live" in their make believe worlds with their friends. Is part of the reason for so much homework because of testing, competition and our country's constant demand for bigger, better, more?

Anonymous said...

Whoa. I totally understand where you are coming from. I do not have any of my own kids but have many friends, with kids,who have similar homework complaints.

I was a nanny for a family whose father was a member of MENSA and whose mother was an "overachiever" at Microsoft. They had their kids in activities every day after school and by the time they got home, and finished with dinner, it was usually past 7. By then the kids were exhausted and hadn't even started their homework. There were many late nights and the family constantly had huge fights over homework.

There were many days when I would arrive in the morning to find the father (who was terminally ill) doing his daughters' homework. I happen to know they weren't the only kids turning in their parents' work, and it was so obvious. The fact that the teacher never questioned any of the parents made me wonder what pressure she may have been under. Was she pressured to give a certain amount of homework? And how the heck did she have time to correct it all? Maybe she didn't; maybe she never noticed the differences in handwriting...and IQ levels?

My master teacher doesn't give nearly as much homework and she is constantly way behind in her grading, and would be even more so if I didn't do some correcting while there and at home.

It seems like there should be a balance. I have certainly seen many homework assignments that seem to be nothing more than busy work. I also feel strongly about kids having time to be kids, and play. They should have time to play sports after school or take art or music lessons but there must be a balance there too. Many times it seems like the extracurricular activities are more for the parents than the kids. Perhaps when the kids begin dreading those extra activities it might be time for a family discussion.

I can see both sides and have no answers. Families are so busy these days and I think most teachers understand that and don't want to add to it but, they also must feel good about doing their jobs well.

I also would like to take this discussion into our Families class. It could go on for days and is definitely worth more discussion. We are all going to have to figure out what we would like to do next year.

(Can you really get a D in 1st grade?!)

Mrs. M said...

He doesn't really have a D -- they don't assign letter grades, although on his report card on homework he does have a "needs improvement".

In my head, 60% is a D. This teacher graphs the turned in percentage from the sheets. On each worksheet you are supposed to fill in the amount of time you spent each day on reading, and the amount you spend on Math Fact flash cards, spelling, Dolche word flash cards, and reading. I was filling out a total time, and not filling out the bottom part of the worksheet, and then figure the times I forgot to do them at all, and it came out to 60 % average on his graph.

Don't ask me how she figures it out, it looked complicated to me, and I had other things in conferences I was interested in asking so I didn't spend much time on it.