Thursday, October 23, 2008

Technology -- I might just enter the 20th century yet

I admit I am a bit of a techno-phobe. I resist all change, in any shape or form. I get set in my routines, and really don't like change. I use my phone as a phone and that is all. I watch TV shows when they come on, and if I miss them, I miss them. I got a digital camera, but I still prefer my old 35 mm camera. I am famous for yelling at my computer and walking off in a huff if things don't work perfectly, threatening to throw it off a cliff because things didn't work right. I use Word, but have never put together a Power Point presentation. I can plug things into Excell, but can't do any serious fancy work on it. I write things down on a paper calendar, and never pay any attention to the calendar feature on my computer, unless I want to know what day of the week something will be happening next month.


So for me this tech class is amazing. I was really afraid of it, and am really suprised that I am loving it. ( And Jane, if you read this, I'm not just writing this to kiss up in hopes of getting an A :) After all it is a credit/no credit class ). I don't know yet how I will use this technology in the classroom, but I am really enjoying learning it, and doing it. From the Wiki, to the Blog, to the Google and Pageflakes pages, and the Delicious tags, I am learning alot of things that are really outside of my comfort zone and loving it. I may enter the 20th century yet( notice I am not optomistic enough to say I am entering the 21st century - don't want to curse myself).

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but maybe you can teach this old dog some new technology.

I have to admit, I am not seeing alot of technology, like the Wiki's and Blogs, being used in the classrooms I am interning in right now. Anyone else seeing technology being used?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I have learned that technology certainly varies from school to school. At my dyad placement they have the cool smart boards and I am TOTALLY amazed at what they can do! I think they are an awesome tool for your classroom. Just the other day the students also got their own "egg" (so they are called) in which they can log into the smart board and it can tally votes and build graphs and such. It's like a game show! However, in my main placement in the Lake Stevens school district we do not have this technology. They have a white board and a document camera. And I wonder... is it because the Lake WA school district has a lot more money? Microsoft influence? I just see the teachers and staff using a ton more technology in Lake WA over many other school districts that I've seen.

Jane said...

So, uhm, I have NO problems with an occasional kiss up!

But I'm really glad that you're enjoying it. There are so many amazing tools that can really shape how we teach and learn.

Kudos to you for plowing right into what you was initially out of your comfort zone!

12RedRoses4U said...

I am on that same boat as for as seeing technology used in classrooms.

My dyad has 2 computers, one is the teacher's. The second is for students to check in on what assignments they may have due. There has been nothing in lessons that require technology.

As for my main place me there are 5 student computers for 22 students. The only times the computers were used were during free time.

I spoke with a couple of ealier cohort members and they reported that most blogs and wiki's are blocked by the schools they have worked in.

Ann Glaser said...

At my Dyad they have macintosh lap tops for each of the 50 6-8th graders. They often have to get them out for researching science or creating a cool technology project. The teacher doesn't have a smart board but has a document camera (which I have never seen him use)but usually he plugs his laptop into the projector,pulls down the screen and brings up websites or Youtube videos to put on the screen. My main placement has a smart board. I have never touched one-and she is known as the "technology" teacher in the school-so hopefully I'll learn from her.
There is so much to learn at each school that it is pretty tricky to jump between the schools and try and learn how each school works while being there only 2 days a week.
Ann

Anonymous said...

Okay...here is something scarey for you...just an hour ago I set-up internet service at home. Yes, it's true! This class is kicking my butt into the 21st century. And to think, I grew up in "Silicon Valley".