Saturday, October 18, 2008

Just say "no"-remember Nancy Reagan!

Us moms have to learn to say no-and then just hang with our kids for their quality time. Our kids have gotten used to us being there at school. But I'm sure you have done that - now it is your time-and my time! We are doing something positive for the family by going to school-improving ourselves-improving our income power. Plus, as parents, we are improving our skills at being a parent. I have learned so much about what is going on at school through this program. Also skills at how to talk to my kids. How to help them with homework-or not!

I am lucky because my mom went back to school when I was in 7th grade and got her degree. She then went on to get her masters in her 50's. She is my inspiration-and she had a whole new career until her 70's which she loved. We deserve to move ahead with our own lives. Think of how inspired our kids can be watching us do our own homework and work for a new goal for ourselves.

I was supposed to chair our school district's reflection program this year. I was all slated to take on that volunteer role-and then I turned it down. I still do small stuff for my kids' activities but I am not going to take on any chair positions this year-and if I get a job next year-I won't be doing it then. We have moved to a new place in parenting. But it can be good. It has to be! Because this is where we are headed.

It is hard to say no to our kids-but instead of volunteering at their school-sit down and have a conversation-have a special lunch out with them-go on a bike ride-but don't volunteer more!

Good luck! It is a challenging year!

No comments: