Monday, November 17, 2008

I VOTE FOR PEACE

For the past week I have been dealing with a very personal family emergency and have been out of touch with this program. My current situation has allowed me to consider what things are really important. This is a total cliche' but I just want to stand up in our cohort and yell, "can't we all just get along?!" We are all so extremely different and wouldn't it be awesome if we could just deal with our frustrations quietly and respectfully and be there for each other. This would be an incredibly boring place if we were all similar. Sure, it might be easier, at times, but really super boring. I hope we can all work on building each other up instead of knocking each other down. Let's live what we will teach. I am now stepping down from my box.

4 comments:

Sarah Ridle said...

I wholeheartedly agree! I feel that since the beginning of this quarter I have struggled with the fact that we are not a cohesive unit and through this division people have been hurt. We do not all need to be best friends but we do need to listen respectfully, support one another and challenge each other to be the best teachers we can be. The program is designed with the cohort model it is up to us to use it wisely. I believe that we need to reestablish a safe classroom community where everyone can learn.

Anonymous said...

I agree with both of you! However I think some of us are always the ones holding out the "olive branch" and others just don't notice it. We ALL have to try and be a part of the process. It doesn't work when only half the class is trying. I honestly do believe that it does have something to do with age and experience, not in all cases but in some. Some of us, like Aggie pointed out, really know what is important, what is not, when to keep our mouths shut and when to just let it go!

Ann Glaser said...

I am feeling really down about our group. I think the negative feelings have even strayed into the whole group-people who are usually open and friendly seemed to have closed up. I usually find friends easily and have found it next to impossible with this cohort.
I would like to change this as it is bringing me down! What can we do? We are all bright and creative people who want to help the world-we should be the ones who can make this change!
Yes we can!

Mrs. M said...

I guess it is all about perspective. I was reading on one of the other blogs today http://growingupteacher.blogspot.com/2008/11/something-to-share.html
and came across one where they felt like the Cohort was really pulling together.

That suprised me. I feel that I have connected with some people in the cohort, and could, and have asked, asked them for help, but I do feel like some in the cohort are not as supportive as they could be.

I honestly don't know how to fix something like that. It has effected my desire to speak out and ask questions in class. It shouldn't, but it does.

I do think it is interesting the different perspective though.