Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Getting Endorsed

After working with 6-8th grade students during my dyad I have found that I like the age level and material of junior high. I don't know if I will ever teach in a junior high but I think it would be a good idea to get endorsed anyway. Before I joined the program I was speaking with a fellow parent who was saying how impressed she was that her child's 6th grade teacher was endorsed in math, science and english. I think this could really help me to get a job.

There are two of us who are considering studying for an endorsement test over the break. Do you have any information about the tests or any interest in studying with me for the test?

Have you heard positive things about a teacher who is endorsed when they don't really need it?
I'll be interested to hear your ideas about this.

7 comments:

Mrs. M said...

I don't think it could hurt. I haven't heard anything one way or another. I think the more education and accredidations you have can only help set you apart in the job search and work in your favor.

If it comes down to 2 candidates for the job, and one has passed the middle school endorsements, and one hasn't, and everything else is equal, that could tip the scales in your favor.

12RedRoses4U said...

I am going to be studying for the math endorsement during break. I took the middle school class in the spring for the reason you stated, that it would give me a few more open doors. We can talk about what we may can work out about studying. I have plenty of different study guides.

12RedRoses4U said...

Today, I spoke with one of the support members for inclusion students at my dyad. She is certified and has 8 years with the district. She has been looking for a teaching position for two years  She said it is a wise decision to get the endorsement. She is now looking into getting an endorsement. This on top of the school closures are making me uneasy.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you....about the feeling uneasy part. I know I've brought up the subject before in class but was sort of shut down with a "we'll all get jobs...don't worry about it". However, after talking to some of the teachers and support staff in the schools, the people who are closest to this issue, I am beginning to become more worried. Is the economy going to make it that much more tough for us all to get jobs? I am not going to be moving anywhere to find a job so I wonder if our part of the country will fair better than average or not...

Ann Glaser said...

I haven't taken the middle school class-but I want to get endorsed anyway.
I haven't checked into when the tests are - Lets talk on monday.
PS I just took the quiz for Tony's class-pretty tough-but I passed it.
Did he say we could take it many times? That seems what I recall? Anybody remember?

12RedRoses4U said...

You have to have the class to earn the endorsement. You should talk to MeMe about it. And yes Tony said you could take it as many times as you like.

T said...

I took the endorsement exams for Social Studies and will be taking the Language Arts in January. It has been suggested to me by my long time mentor who is also a teacher that a math or science endorsement would certainly be helpful. I also heard that having extra hobbies to share with students is useful in getting hired.